Expect to be respected if you decide to join Loop Addictions, because the rule of respect is held highest of the few rules that apply. If you want to disagree, then please do so in an adult manner. Debate is healthy, as one sword sharpens another, but it must be done in an honorable fashion. All legal methods are welcome for discussion.

Author Topic: Adirondack Brook Trout Ponds  (Read 886 times)

Offline woodchucker

• Skipper
    • View Profile
Adirondack Brook Trout Ponds
« on: September 10, 2017, 02:52:15 PM »
Back in my younger days... (Early 80's) There was a reclaimed Brook Trout pond on the back side of Fourth Lake, called Quiver Pond. It sits alongside of Shore Drive, which runs between Old Forge, and Inlet. The first few times we fished it was with crawlers & spin rods from shore. We did good! Catching about a dozen between us, in the evening, then taking them back to camp and cooking them over the fire...

My Dad was a Die Hard, Trout Fisherman, though never a Fly fisherman. Knowing my uncle kept a fly rod in his camper, I took 2 of my rods up to camp one late Sept weekend. My trusty 8'6" 7wt Cortland rod & Rimfly reel, and a 7' 5wt Eagle Claw "Sweetheart" rod & old Martin 65 reel.

After arriving at camp that night, around the fire, my uncle, Dad, and I made plans to take my Jon boat to the pond the next morning. My uncle and I had our fly rods, but my Dad insisted on bringing his old Zebco pole... (Unknown to him, I left the can of crawlers hid behind a tree when we left, lol) When we got to the pond, and unloaded the boat, he couldn't find the can? To say he was upset, would be a HUGE understatement!!! I think he shortly realized he was dupped, saying "I guess I'll use one of these fly poles"...

We spent the day drifting tandem streamer rigs. A Royal Coachman, trailed by a Mickey Finn. We caught dozens of Brookies that day!!! Each of us keeping 5, for our "evening snack"! (Btw, in those days, the limit was 10 trout. However, we never kept more than we could eat that day) My Dad had a blast that day!!! Although he never did become a Fly Fisherman...

Offline Stumpkiller

• Skipper
    • View Profile
Re: Adirondack Brook Trout Ponds
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 10:53:30 PM »
Good thing you caught trout or you'd have had to walk home!

Great telling of a great trip.
Charlie P.

Forum Home Icons
Read
Unread