Expect to be respected if you decide to join Loop Addictions, because the rule of respect is held highest of the few rules that apply. If you want to disagree, then please do so in an adult manner. Debate is healthy, as one sword sharpens another, but it must be done in an honorable fashion. All legal methods are welcome for discussion.

Author Topic: Tenkara  (Read 795 times)

Offline Stumpkiller

• Skipper
    • View Profile
Tenkara
« on: September 05, 2017, 04:29:51 PM »
Anyone else fishing with Tenkara equipment?

I have been doing some stream fishing with a 14 ft Ito rod and am happy enough with it that I may just leave the bass rig on my 6 weight outfit.  Three feet of arm, 14 feet of rod and 20 feet of line and tippet means a reach of 37 feet.  Not much for a river but on a 60 ft wide or less stream it makes a viable outfit. 

I have taken to carrying mine in the SUV at all times.  The rod (in a aluminum tube), a net and a pack that only needs to hold the line and tippet, a couple flies, and if you are a worrier a spare line and tippet on a spool or in a zip-baggie.  Coming off a Catskill background I at first narrowed down a "spartan" fly box to 20 essential patterns.  But then I got the spirit and limited myself to six in the "traditional" Tenkara styles.  Basically a wet-fly system that has elements of short-line nymph fly fishing. 

I have since added a seventh pattern - a black ant tied Tenkara style.  Just can't go without a terrestrial pattern.  ;-)

The beauty of the system was apparent yesterday.  We were on a back route headed up to the old Eric Canal paths to ride our bicycles and passed by a fishing access site on the Otselic River.  Since THE ADMIRAL had brought a book I allowed myself an hour of checking out a spot I had not fished before.  Yes, certainly I could have as easily had a three-piece rod, reel , vest etc. in the SUV.  But I don't as a rule.

With Harvey finishing up and Irma headed along we has some pretty good winds - 10 with 20 mph +/- gusts.  I was amazed how well the Tenkara rod kept it's head together and presented flies fairly well.  I could really feel the wind on the pole.  But I never snagged the overhanging brush I was drifting the fly under.  Grated 35 feet or so isn't a large radius with any rod . . . but no complaints on the Ito.

I just ordered a Skulpin Flatvest that will hold all of my Tenkara gear.  (Support our Sponsors!).  Basically what you could fit in a front jeans pocket.  Pretty simple and tidy.

I do recommend a net - even for little guys.  The Tenkara pole is so whippy it will protect a tippet from most everything but it just won't lift a fish.  Also, with no reel, the added little-bit of reach makes a world of difference.
Charlie P.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Tenkara
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 01:52:45 PM »
Wow great post thanks so much for sharing!!!

I have a Skulpin as well.... It is much more user-friendly for small stream fishing here in the North Georgia Mountains.

Offline woodchucker

• Skipper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2017, 06:51:26 PM »
Back in Feb, I splurged and bought myself an Orvis "Superfine Glass" 7' 3wt Rod & Orvis Battenkill I reel. Spooled with a top of the "line" Moss green Orvis "Superfine" WF3F trout line. Then of coarse, being as I was spending $550 on an outfit, I needed a good case to protect it while "traveling" lmao! Add another $70 to the Orvis tab... This sweet little outfit is my "dedicated" small stream/Brook Trout rod!!! I really did go overboard, but hey! You only live once right???
I've never fished with a Tenkara rod, but they look REALLLY COOL, and I love the concept of the long telescoping rod, easily packable, simple as a cane pole! (well, maybe not casting?) Several times I have thought of buying one of these sweet little rods!!! But for now, perhaps I should behave...??

Offline Stumpkiller

• Skipper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017, 08:59:37 PM »
It is a different casting motion.  VERY slow. 

If you have ever seen one the tip of the rod looks like the lead from a 0.5mm mechanical pencil!  It is scary thin.  But the whole 12 or 14 feet of rod is s___l___o___w  action and protects that and the tippet.

So your timing has to be sloth like.  But, I can do nice casts that get out far enough for small streams.  And for dabbling along banks or under branches the 14 foot rod is very handy.  You can lay the fly out upstream and let it drift while keeping all but a few feet of tippet in the water . . . with care.

When I was a kid I had a cane pole - this is VERY much like the modern version of that.  Not necessarily a bad thing.  I still have that cane pole (I believe 10 ft) and used to carry in on our sailboat to lay out poppers once anchored for the night and play with the sunfish at sunset.  Loads of fun.

The "bold" thing is to trust this simple gear enough to actually fish with it.  If you have ever short-line wet and nymph fished (high sticking) you might really like this.  Sight-fishing long range . . . not so much.
Charlie P.

Offline woodchucker

• Skipper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 09:45:59 PM »
Well Charlie, perhaps next spring I'll "have" to by something new!!??

Offline skulpin

• Skipper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 08:15:13 PM »
I'm just getting into Tenkara myself these last couple of years, really like the compact package when telescoped down and it makes even the little guys fun. Its been a challenge learning to slow down my stroke and I'm not real confident I can handle a big fish with it but I do love being able to get those long drifts without drag from all that line on the water. That's been the biggest advantage so far for me, keeping that line off the water keeps it from getting caught in cross currents.

Offline centaur

• Skipper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 01:39:50 PM »
I have been using Tenkara gear for a few years; really love it on the small streams. I really like the simplicity; the longbow or fishing equipment. As for not being able to catch big fish, not true.

Offline woodchucker

• Skipper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 05:15:16 PM »
NICE!!!!!!!!!!

Forum Home Icons
Read
Unread