Expect to be respected if you decide to join Loop Addictions, because the rule of respect is held highest of the few rules that apply. If you want to disagree, then please do so in an adult manner. Debate is healthy, as one sword sharpens another, but it must be done in an honorable fashion. All legal methods are welcome for discussion.

Author Topic: Fall trout in the NC mountains  (Read 1544 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• Skipper
    • View Profile
Fall trout in the NC mountains
« on: September 01, 2017, 05:28:14 PM »
It will soon be time to get back up to my closest trout stream in the NC mountains. September brings a bit of rain and the cooler temps. That combination will cool the water enough to make the fish more active as colder water can hold more oxygen. Fishing the mountain streams improves around the middle of September and from then on until the really cold weather the fishing can be impressive.

The streams will be low and the water will be clear, and that means spooky fish. But, the fish are still hungry every day and the right offering can result in a strike. So, I am getting some things ready for the fly boxes. Here are some black/copper zebra nymphs with black tungsten bead heads. I also tied up some bead head brassies. Can't wait to get to the mountains and wet a line.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Offline Doc Nock

• Skipper
    • View Profile
Re: Fall trout in the NC mountains
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2017, 08:23:27 PM »
So far, here in NE TN (Greene Co area) I've only found ONE stream I can fish... and it's covered up in people in summer as it's downstream from a Nat'l forest campground...

Problem is the rivers/streams the stream/river bed is owned by the property owner so you cannot wade without written permission... Seriously? 

Same with other outdoor pursuits... imagine that... Oh, well... Last round up is forming anyway at this stage of life, so perhaps I'll find other things....

Offline Double Haul

• Skipper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2017, 08:41:34 PM »
Hi Doc,  thought I'd see you here. 

We are really lucky here in Montana, lots of good rivers to fish and the right to wade the rivers. 

Offline Doc Nock

• Skipper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2017, 09:45:34 PM »
Hi Doc,  thought I'd see you here. 

We are really lucky here in Montana, lots of good rivers to fish and the right to wade the rivers.

Right up to the high water mark... alas, same in MO but not here... can float but not wade...

Guess the boating industry has a good rep!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 11:36:58 AM »
Love the little flies...aint they cute?  Hope to see one shortly...

Offline skulpin

• Skipper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2017, 07:14:48 PM »
the rain off this storm should get the water levels up and get some color in the water.
gonna head up soon and swing some muddlers, hope for some fall spawners up from the lake

Offline tarponnut

• Skipper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2018, 11:01:15 PM »
I had some great days fishing in NW NC in October and November.
Swinging streamers is awesome in the fall for fish that really get aggressive, brookies and rainbows especially.

Forum Home Icons
Read
Unread